In this activity, Joy Stacey and the LPO perform an OrchLab favourite: ‘Take Me Home, Country Roads’ by John Denver. This song is all about the American state West Virginia, but perhaps you could add your own lyrics about one of your favourite places?
Watch the video titled ‘About this activity’ first. Then, when you know how to join in, watch the video titled ‘Play along.’
About this activity
How to join in with this activity:
- You can do this activity in a group or on your own. You may want to use some musical instruments or iPads, or you can use your voices.
- If you are using drums, shakers or tambourines, you can play along in time with the song.
- If you are using instruments with notes, like chime bars, bells or iPads, try using the notes F, G, A, Bb, C, D and E (if you don’t have all of these, just use what you have).
- If you are using an iPad app like ThumbJam or GarageBand, set them to the key of F major (you can click on the links to ThumbJam and GarageBand for instructions for how to do this).
- If you are using OrchLab Soundmakers like Circles or Squares, set the key to F major (you can click on the link to OrchLab Soundmakers for instructions for how to do this).
- If you would like to, please sing along! The words will appear on the screen as we go through the song.
- In this play along, Joy has left some space for you to make up your own lyrics. Have a think about some of your favourite places that you might want to add to the song, and look out for the gaps in the captions.
- In the middle of the piece, there is an opportunity for you to play some solos. These could be passed around the group if you are playing together, or if you are playing by yourself use it as your moment to shine.
- Have fun!